Pages

12.19.2013

of flattery

"You look good in pictures. You're very photogenic. Well, you're really thin. You know they say the camera adds ten pounds. In your case it's a good thing. You know most actresses are so skinny. You see them on the screen and you think they look good, but then you see them in person and they're skin and bones. They look sick..."

I am still smiling, but my mind has frozen.

You're really thin.

The camera adds ten pounds.

In your case it's a good thing.

"...almost like they're dying, you know?" My client is still talking, smiling good-naturedly. I am nodding along.

Skin and bones.

A good thing.

He makes a face like he's eaten a piece of moldy bread. "Like they're in fucking chemo or something."

I can't tell if he's trying to tell me I look like one of those actresses.

I am more flattered than insulted. 


2 comments:

  1. A friend of mine saw photos of me when I was a child, and she said she can understand why I "want to be thin again" because I was "always thin as a child." That made me think "again," does it mean I'm not thin anymore? It made me feel bad, thinking I'm fat.

    I try not to think too much about comments about my appearance, but sometimes it is really hard and I feel bad about myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those comments are the worst. It's so hard to keep your chin up when there are a million little ways people can tear us down without even knowing. Innocent remarks. Even a glance.

      My heart hurts that you felt bad about yourself. Having been there, I wouldn't wish that on anyone. So I want you to know that your comments have been so encouraging, Olia. You've definitely lifted my spirits more than once. So thank you for that.

      Delete