Pages

10.20.2013

stuck

My littlest sister got engaged tonight.

My sister-in-law just told us that she's pregnant with her second baby.

These are two things that I should be so excited about. I should be jumping up and down. I normally would.

So I don't know why they hit me like a wrecking ball.

I tried to sort it out all weekend, tried to sift through my feelings like the muddy floor of a California river. But I never found any gold. Just a lot of mud.

The closest thing I could come up with was that it's hard for me to watch life moving on for other people. I felt stuck before, but I almost feel more stuck now. Maybe because it was easier to pretend I wasn't stuck when I was the only one who knew how fucked up I am. Now that everyone else knows, I can't really pretend anymore.

I'm stuck.

I am twenty-six years old. I have a college degree. I have a husband. I have a house. I have a car. I have a full time job.

I am depressed. I have anxiety. I don't eat.

I am getting help.

I don't want help.

I am taking medication.

I hate my medication.

I already had my major breakdown, so why do I constantly feel like I'm on the verge of another one?

I went to a little party celebrating my sister's engagement tonight. Crushed into the corner on the arm of an over-sized thrift store armchair, I felt lost. My sister's friends are all young, beautiful, and loud. They have a sort of brash, honest, openness that my sister has and I do not. I sat in my corner, sipped at an Arnold Palmer, and ignored the table loaded with cupcakes and chips and cake.

I know some of them know things about me. I know my sister freaked out when she found out I was in the hospital. I know she was with some friends when she got the call.

So now I'm the crazy, broken older sister in shabby thrift store boots and tired eyes. The one who tried to kill herself. The one in treatment for an eating disorder. That one.

On the way home, my mother called. I thought she wanted to talk about my sister, so I answered. I was wrong. She wanted to talk about me. She wanted to know how I was. She wanted to know how my medication was working, if I had any upcoming appointments. My Dad wanted to know if we would come home for Christmas if they bought us tickets. Any day. It didn't matter. But the decision! It needs to be made! Oh, and how was my assessment? How do I feel about going into an eating disorder treatment center that I still haven't told my mother about?

The call caught me off guard and left me feeling like a human pin ball, careening, overwhelmed.

I hate that I can't be honest with my parents, and I hate that they expect me to be.

I have two adorable nieces and one adorable nephew already. I don't get to see them very often. Casualties of having moved 1,000 miles away from your family in a desperate attempt to stay sane. I love them, but they don't know me. I am the aunt who lives far away. I want them to love me. I want to have a close relationship with them, but they're just little kids, and I'm a stranger.

Now there will be another one.

And I am happy for her. Very. She's wanted a second baby for a long time. I'm happy to have another niece or nephew, but for some reason it also just makes me feel so tired. So heavy. Another piece of life to worry about.

Another reminder that I'm twenty-six and still not suited to be a mother.

Another reminder that everyone else is continuing on with their lives. Growing up. Getting married. Having babies. Graduating college. Moving to different states.

And I am curled up on my bed in a crippling panic, furious at myself over eating too much celery.

Stuck.

6 comments:

  1. It makes complete sense that it's difficult to watch others thrive while we're stuck. I feel the same way watching my brother's life. He's two years older than me, and he's got a longterm girlfriend, working full-time in his chosen field, studying at university and a committed emergency services volunteer. He's constantly moving forward, looking for promotions and new skills to learn, and I'm just stuck here in the land of mental illness. I want to cry every time he has 'good news'; it's a crushing reminder of how stuck I am. If/when he and his girlfriend get engaged, or fall pregnant, I think I'd break down completely.

    You won't be stuck forever. Your life might be at a standstill now, but there's always potential to move forward one day. Don't lose hope.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stuck here in the land of mental illness. That's a good way to put it. Not a nice thing, but I like the way you phrased it. At least we're not alone here.

      And that potential of moving forward exists for both of us. Hope you're doing ok. Lots of love.

      Delete
  2. Gosh Kay
    Reading this is like reading my own thoughts
    I get it
    I know how it feels to watch everyone around you thrive and flourish and blossom and live
    And all the while be stuck in this prison
    My cousin recently got married and had a baby
    My first reaction was sadness
    I don't even know if I want to get married and have children but it would be nice to have the option
    And I hate the pity that people feel for me
    I hate it so much
    I want to be the one with good news for a change
    I want to celebrate something
    I want to be more than a burden to my family
    I know you understand

    I am going in to treatment this week
    Are you still going?
    I'd love to stay in touch x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is exactly how I feel. I don't even know if I want to have a baby, but I want to feel like I have the option. And right now I don't. At all. And I've done that to myself.

      I also hate pity. I hate it so much. I hate being treated like glass. I do understand. Completely.

      I have an appointment tomorrow to get an EKG reading and blood work done, but I won't find out my "recommendations" until the 28th. I think I will probably be doing outpatient, but I really have no idea what they will recommend. I'm not sure what I'll do if they want me to do in-patient. That is very intimidating to me. I think you're so brave for going in. So very brave.

      I'd love to stay it touch too. If you wanted to email me your hospital address, I'd love to write you! My email is kayt8803 at gmail dot com. :)

      Delete
  3. Somehow I missed the fact that you are married, haha makes sense though :p
    I know what you mean, everyone is busy with life and I'm just running around in a circle. I think the biggest thing I try to remember is to not live by everyone else's terms/standards/expectations ect. There's no enjoyment in life if I do and I just find myself frustrated at myself.
    And if you ever find something you want hon, don't be afraid to just reach out and grab it.
    You've come so far and few people will see/understand that, I think you're going in the best way that's for you.
    Much love xx
    Sorry, felt like I wrote a book/lecture haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. I became a mother 11 months ago.. He got pregnant when I was 29(it wasn't planned) and he was born after I turned 30.. I was not ready, and I felt really sorry for my husband, cause the first week I was just in shock crying. After the baby was born I had some depression ( i still do).. But we manage. I do my best, and he is a happy baby..

    You are ONLY 26.. And you have a whole lot of living to do. So don't worry.. Things will workout somehow :)

    ReplyDelete