Pages

6.06.2013

if and when

After two months of searching, two months of horrible anxiety, horrible stress, I got a new job.

It's a good job. Exactly what I was hoping to find. My bosses seem great. I think I'll be good at it. It's a significant pay raise. It's even closer to my house than my old job. I could go on and on.

For almost exactly one day, I was relieved. I was giddy. Having that weight off my shoulders, I felt like I could breathe again.

But the weight didn't really go away. It just shifted.

I woke up the next day to realize that it was still there. I still have to fight the anxiety driven panic that claws it's way beneath my skin. I'm still drowning, sinking beneath the waves.

I am exhausted.

My life, my entire being, is such a lie. How would I even begin to unravel the mess? I have devoted my life, my entire life, to appearing to be a normal, well-adjusted person. I am so good at this act, that I have trapped myself in it. How do I ask for help when I can't get the words past my lips? How do I confess when the truth would look like such a ridiculous lie? 

...

I was at the library, returning a book after work. Outside it was grey and spitting a miserable attempt at rain. The librarian was taking his time, but he was old and I didn't mind. I stood there like a ghost, watching him. I'd cried the entire drive from work to the library, silent tears just rolling down my face and dripping off my chin. But I knew he couldn't tell. I'd looked in the mirror before coming inside. My makeup hadn't even smeared. And I suddenly just felt so heavy. My body felt like it was slowly turning to stone. I kept expecting the floor to crack beneath my feet and swallow me whole. 

I could feel the misery pouring off of me in waves, like miniature tsunamis. He didn't look at me. I could feel the coldness creeping down my chest, across my stomach, down my legs, and across the floor. He didn't notice a thing. I could feel the burning pain in my swollen eyes, the lump in my throat. 

What did he see?

Just a girl.

I am invisible.

...

I am a countdown to the day that I snap.

I think about killing myself as casually as other people consider their dinner options. 

I should stop at the store and get some more dish soap. Oh, and maybe when I get home I'll finally slit my wrists.

I don't even feel anything. 

I tell myself that I'll get help IF and WHEN.

IF and WHEN I actually ever attempt to kill myself. 

IF and WHEN I ever drop below 90 lbs. 

(HA. I'm funny.)

IF and WHEN I ever have a panic attack that puts me in the hospital.

I am so tired.

I'm sorry that I am so down all the time. The funny thing is that my real life and what I write would look like black and white if you ever saw both sides. I should have gone into acting. The truth is, I spend all of my energy trying to wear the mask I've created for myself. I have to work so hard all day long to look normal. To seem ok. To appear happy. And it weighs on me. It drags on me. And all the things I wish I could say crowd my chest and choke me until I write and write and write and pour it all out, all the black ash, the sticky sweet tar, the poison that I willingly swallow.

"Help me." I wish I could just say it. "Please help me. I'm not ok."

2 comments:

  1. I'm worried about you. Is there anyone around you you could talk to about what's going on? the mister? Don't even have to say specifics, just something so that you can have some support.
    My "if or whens" are almost the exact same, basically I wont ever seek help unless it's forced.
    Take care darling, I'm always here.
    All my love to you xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you melrose. your comments are always so sweet and thoughtful, and they really truly do bring a little light to my day.

      I feel like the worse I get, the harder I pretend around the other people in my life to compensate. I don't know how to break the silence.

      So really, thank you. Because it seems the only place I can talk freely is here.

      Delete