Pages

11.18.2013

normal [alternately titled: i hate poetry]

normal is what normal is.
at least, that's what i thought.
how many years did it take?
more than ten.
more than twenty.
was i strong or was i weak?
i turn these pill bottles over in my hand
looking for an answer in the tiny black text
but finding none.

in my normal there is a darkness oceans deep.
there are tears shed and tears stuck
somewhere deep inside my skull.
there is light, so bright it's blinding,
and i fly
like icarus towards the sun
but both of us are doomed
and i go tumbling down again.

in my normal there is a hate
that lurks inside my ribs
quieted slightly by the bones
that slowly creep
up from under my skin.

in my normal there is worry
like a hive of wasps inside my head
they say a panic attack feels as though 
your heart has stopped.
but my heart beats and beats and beats
like a bomb.
methodical ticks.

in my normal i am in control.
until i'm not.

is it the green wire or the red?
tick. tick. tick. tick. 
better cut them all. 

they tell me that i'm wrong
these people with all these letters
trailing like ducklings after their names.
they say my normal is not normal after all
and it rolls off their tongues 
so easily.

they don't notice the thunderclap
that roars inside my head.

how do you re-define normal?
what comes after three?
is this color purple?
yellow?
red?
what is normal?
who am i?
isn't my normal
me?

so i gather up the folds of my darkness,
clutching them to my heart
and they do not understand.
why I would choose to drown

but i am lost in the darkest blue,
wasps humming in my head
i trace a cold finger along my bones
and breathe.

3 comments:

  1. I'm not a fan of poetry either, but it's nice sometimes to write short incomplete sentences. Or that's just me being lazy :p
    Those similar buzzing bees and dark waters are constant and forever for me, that makes it normal right?
    Hope you're taking care! Love you xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh also this writing was seriously fantastic!

      Delete
    2. Oh that made me happy. Your opinion means so much to me! :)

      Delete